Moody Blues/Justin's brother and possible son

Hello Tracy,
There is some info that Justin had a brother who died, but I cannot find any specifics other than he may have died of cancer. Do you know his name, when he died and how?
Also 2 people have told me he had a son, probably with another than Marie. They wondered if his song "I know You're Out There Somewhere" was for or about him. What do you know or can you find re this?
I know Justin is a private person. But if we knew what really happened it would show him as being more human to his loyal fans.
Thank you, Don

Hi Don,

Yes, Justin's older brother, Richard, died of a heart attack in 1986.  He was 41.  Richard may also have had cancer, but all of my information indicates that his cause of death was not primarily because of that.

And yes, Justin does have an illegitimate son, born to a teenaged girlfriend long before he and Marie met.  I've heard rumors that Justin has met his son, but I have no definitive proof of that meeting.

You'll find that this one topic consumes most fans; for obvious reasons.  And you're right, Justin is a private person...  I doubt that any fan will ever know the full story - at least it's not likely to come from Justin, himself.

Justin did discuss the relationship with the girl, and the birth of his son in a "The Daily Mirror" interview in 1978, (which I haven't located yet, unfortunately), and I understand he divulged no real details (names, dates, etc.).  So I don't expect that there's much out there for fans to discover.

Many fans love to connect dots to this child and any number of songs that Justin may have written or performed.  "A Face in the Crowd" from his second solo album, along with "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" are obvious suggestions.  Whether there is any connection or not, is anyone's guess.

Beyond that, Don, there just isn't much else to tell.  I know Richard had a son, Galen who lived in Switzerland with his wife in the mid 1990's.  Justin also has a sister, Theresa, who lives in England.  His father (Frederick) died in 1969, and his mother (Gwendolyn) died in 2000.

I hope this helps you out a bit, Don, and thanks for using!

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann

I’m pretty confident that I can answer just about any question about the band or their music you may have. I’ve been a fan since 1972 and have followed their careers (collectively and as solo artists,) closely ever since. In addition, I've amassed a vast database on all things Moody - from "completest" discographies for the band and all of their solo projects, to extensive bibliographies, videographies, posterfiles, etc. I have an extensive collection of memorabilia; both group and related solo projects. My collection includes vinyl, CDs, tapes (cassette, 8-track, and reel,) posters, shirts, sheet music and songbooks, back stage passes, magazines, books and other publications, equipment, and video. If I don’t know it, I know where to find it. All you have to do is ask!

I’ve been a fan of the band since 1972. I was a contributing editor to "Higher and Higher", the Moody Blues Magazine 1994, to the magazine’s untimely demise in 2007, writing the Videography Department.

As noted previously, much of my writing has appeared in “Higher and Higher” since 1994, but I also wrote a piece that appeared in issue #1 of Mike Pinder’s newsletter “Have You Heard”.

Though I haven’t yet finished, my educational focus is on a Journalism degree.

I've also had the good fortune to have traveled to England to catch the end of the Band's Spring 2000 concert tour; a trip I've always wanted to take. I’ve supplied research information on the band to a number of sources, including the July 5, 2004 English Quiz Show “Mastermind” which featured a contestant whose expertise was also the Moody Blues. I also participated in the UK Channel 4 presentation of the “Top Ten” program's episode on Progressive Rock, that featured the Moody Blues at #3 on their list. That program aired on March 3, 2001.