Moody Blues/Pinder

Mike Pinder did not contribute to Long Distance Voyager...IPatrick Moraz was on keyboards....
I never thought the group was as good after he left...Rumor was he went to India to study  some rrligious stuff...Jim

Hi Jim,

While it's true, Mike had left the band between the completion of "Octave" and the start of the tour to support the album, he did not go to India in pursuit of religion at that point.

Mike's first marriage had ended during the band's recording of "Octave", which was completed at his Indigo Ranch Studio in Southern California, and that put him in an immigration bind with the US Government.  He says he was told by immigration officials that if he left the US to tour internationally to support the album, he would not be allowed back in the country.  Since he had a family here, leaving the country - without the option to return again was not exactly the ideal situation for him.

So no, he did not go to India; at least, not during the late 1970's, early 1980's.  He took a job with Atari Computers as a music consultant, remarried, and moved to the Grass Valley/Auburn area in California (not too far from Sacramento).

He and other members of the Moody Blues did go to India at some point after the Beatles' much publicized 1966 trip where they were introduced to Transcendental Meditation, and that had a profound impact on Mike.  He's said that that experience helped him to develop his own form of spirituality and lifestyle, which he still adheres to today.

So while the India rumor is true (to a degree), it's not true that he went there after he left the band in 1978 to study religion.

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit for you, Jim, and thanks for using!

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann

I’m pretty confident that I can answer just about any question about the band or their music you may have. I’ve been a fan since 1972 and have followed their careers (collectively and as solo artists,) closely ever since. In addition, I've amassed a vast database on all things Moody - from "completest" discographies for the band and all of their solo projects, to extensive bibliographies, videographies, posterfiles, etc. I have an extensive collection of memorabilia; both group and related solo projects. My collection includes vinyl, CDs, tapes (cassette, 8-track, and reel,) posters, shirts, sheet music and songbooks, back stage passes, magazines, books and other publications, equipment, and video. If I don’t know it, I know where to find it. All you have to do is ask!

I’ve been a fan of the band since 1972. I was a contributing editor to "Higher and Higher", the Moody Blues Magazine 1994, to the magazine’s untimely demise in 2007, writing the Videography Department.

As noted previously, much of my writing has appeared in “Higher and Higher” since 1994, but I also wrote a piece that appeared in issue #1 of Mike Pinder’s newsletter “Have You Heard”.

Though I haven’t yet finished, my educational focus is on a Journalism degree.

I've also had the good fortune to have traveled to England to catch the end of the Band's Spring 2000 concert tour; a trip I've always wanted to take. I’ve supplied research information on the band to a number of sources, including the July 5, 2004 English Quiz Show “Mastermind” which featured a contestant whose expertise was also the Moody Blues. I also participated in the UK Channel 4 presentation of the “Top Ten” program's episode on Progressive Rock, that featured the Moody Blues at #3 on their list. That program aired on March 3, 2001.