Moody Blues/Justin's dad

I just watched "The Other Side of Red Rocks" DVD and Justin talks a little about his father. I got curious about him and wondered what you can tell me about him. I think he died quite young. Was he musical at all?
Thank you

Hi Jackie,

Justin's father, Fredrick Hayward, died in 1969 at about 59 years of age.  And yes, I would agree, that is quite young, though Justin's brother, Richard died in 1986 at the age of 41.  Both (I believe) died of heart-related health issues.

To the best of my knowledge, neither of his parents were particularly musical, though they were both teachers.  (Justin's mother, Gwendolyn passed away in 2000, at the age of 81.)

Unfortunately, there's really not much more I can tell you about Justin's father.  I know he and Gwendolyn helped Justin purchase his first guitar by the time he was 10 years old, and that they both insisted that he finish school before he embarked upon his musical career (he passed his "O" levels at 16), but that's really about it.

I do know that Justin has said on several occasions that "New Horizons" was written after his father passed away and before the birth of his daughter, Doremi (December of 1972).  At the time, he was still coming to terms with his father's death a few years earlier while at the same time facing the prospect of fatherhood, himself.

Though for me, "New Horizons" has always held its own special meaning, hearing about the conflicting emotions that Justin was experiencing during the time the song was written, just gave it an entirely new dimension.

I hope that I've been able to quench at least some of your curiosity, Jackie, and thanks for using!

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann

I’m pretty confident that I can answer just about any question about the band or their music you may have. I’ve been a fan since 1972 and have followed their careers (collectively and as solo artists,) closely ever since. In addition, I've amassed a vast database on all things Moody - from "completest" discographies for the band and all of their solo projects, to extensive bibliographies, videographies, posterfiles, etc. I have an extensive collection of memorabilia; both group and related solo projects. My collection includes vinyl, CDs, tapes (cassette, 8-track, and reel,) posters, shirts, sheet music and songbooks, back stage passes, magazines, books and other publications, equipment, and video. If I don’t know it, I know where to find it. All you have to do is ask!

I’ve been a fan of the band since 1972. I was a contributing editor to "Higher and Higher", the Moody Blues Magazine 1994, to the magazine’s untimely demise in 2007, writing the Videography Department.

As noted previously, much of my writing has appeared in “Higher and Higher” since 1994, but I also wrote a piece that appeared in issue #1 of Mike Pinder’s newsletter “Have You Heard”.

Though I haven’t yet finished, my educational focus is on a Journalism degree.

I've also had the good fortune to have traveled to England to catch the end of the Band's Spring 2000 concert tour; a trip I've always wanted to take. I’ve supplied research information on the band to a number of sources, including the July 5, 2004 English Quiz Show “Mastermind” which featured a contestant whose expertise was also the Moody Blues. I also participated in the UK Channel 4 presentation of the “Top Ten” program's episode on Progressive Rock, that featured the Moody Blues at #3 on their list. That program aired on March 3, 2001.