Moody Blues/Higher & Higher Magazine

Question
Hi Tracy,
I have 4 copies of H&H, Spring, Summer, Fall of 1995, and Spring 1996.  They're all in very good shape.  I also have 3 Fan Newsletters, July 1994, Autumn/Winter 1994, and Spring 1995 in decent shape.

Would you have any idea what these might be worth?  I have the Justin Hayward Keepsake Edition which I'm auctioning off starting at $50.  I'd like to put these up when I do that in case someone wants the whole lot.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Evyonne

Answer
Hi Evyonne,

This is really a great question, and unfortunately, I don't have a real definitive answer for you.  Unlike the Beatles, the Moodies don't have an "official" price guide for their memorabilia, so it's always been difficult to determine what the value is of any item you might have in your possession.

It's all very subjective, and relative to the time and place at which you're attempting to sell what you have.  Like most fans these days, Moodies fans fall into a couple of different categories; those who simply want information and don't necessarily care about the format that the information they want takes, and those who collect everything, and only originals will do.

Most of the H&H issues are available online electronically, which scratches that itch for those who just want the info.  That leaves a smaller sub-set of fans (like me!) who are "completiest" collectors who know what they want and often, are willing to pay for it.

That said, about all I can really recommend you do is to search sites like Ebay to get an idea of what others have sold your issues for in the past.  Look for both open and closed auctions and be sure to look for lot sales of issues as well as single issue sales.  It may take a bit of research to determine what sells and for what price.  Also, auctions timed around tours (especially longer, multi-show stints in places like Vegas) and the holidays (from my experience) tend to net the highest returns.  

You can also check out Goldmine Magazine at http://www.goldminemag.com/.  I haven't seen many issues of H&H there lately, but they do show up from time-to-time, and they're a good source for pricing information of like items.  (Your auctions would likely compete with sellers who list in Goldmine, so it's always good to scope out the competition there.)

As for the JH Keepsake Edition?  Again, that's a tough call.  I'd probably list it for $25 with a reserve for $50, if that's your minimum.  I know good copies generate a lot of buzz, and I've seen some go for as much as $80, but the more people bidding, the better.  I don't think $50 is an unreasonable price, but as for its actual "worth"...?  I wish I could say for sure, and I'm really sorry that I can't.  The value of Moody Blues memorabilia really fluctuates quite a bit, and there's always a surge in price for items when the band is on tour.  Keep an eye on the schedules (for both the band and their respective members' solo gigs), and try and time you sales with those.

Anyway, best of luck and I hope you're able to find good homes for your items!

Take care and thanks for using Allexperts.com!

Tracy

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann