Motorcycle Repair/1995 honda vt1100 c2 electrical problems

mark wrote at 2014-06-01 16:02:47
I have a 96 vt1100c2 that I have the exact same problem with. I drove it to the front yard to wash it and no I am not getting any spark.  I pulled the cdi box off and when I turned it upside down water came out so I am thinking that is the problem but the cheapest place I have found is partzilla for 416.53. That's a lot for me not being 100% sure that is the problem. I pulled black cover box off the cdi box and one of the small capacitors on the printed circuit board had a little brown spot like oxidation that easily wiped off.  I put my volt meter on cap and tried to check the microfaris or however you spell that word lol but was not able to get a reading. I do not want to spend the 450$ like u did and that not be the problem. I put the circuit board in rice and let it sit thinking that it would help dry any condensation between the board and the protective wax coating out. Anything else you find would be helpful for me to try to diagnose this problem.

After reading your post I am going to mess with the ignition pulse generator and see if I can get spark. thanks in advance

Motorcycle Repair

(Sidecar) Bob Kingsmill

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH HARELYS. ATVs ARE NOT MOTORCYCLES. DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT THEM. DON'T ASK UNLESS YOU HAVE LOOKED IN THE SHOP MANUAL FIRST - IT ONLY ROBS SOMEONE WITH A REAL QUESTION OF THE OPPORTUNITY. You can ask me electrical questions about 1975-85 HONDAS. You can ask me about driving sidecars in the winter, or sidecars in general. You can ask me general motorcycle repair questions, but my main experience is with Honda CX500, GL500, CX650, GL650, GL1000 and GL1100 models. I also know a bit about the Suzuki GS400 and 1980s Dneprs, but I haven't touched either in years. If you ask about a model I am not familiar with I will do my best to find your answer.

I have been operating and maintaining Honda motorcycles since 1991 and other types since 1985. I have access to several online usergroups that specialize in keeping these types of bikes roadworthy and am considered an expert in some areas, particularly electrical/wiring matters. I have been using sidecars for everyday winter transportation in Southern Ontario since 1987 except for 2 winters on a trike. I have learned how to make this a relatively comfortable activity and how to prepare the machine so that it survives the road salt.

Naked Gold Wings; Honda Transverse Twins of America

Electronics & acoustics technician. Correspondence courses in motorcycle repair & small engines.