Motorcycle Repair/1981 cb1100RB

Hi, I am currently rebuilding a 1981 1100RB, I have the genuine cams (MA3) but unfortunately they are under the service limit having done quite a few miles when in the bike. I would like to get the cams built up and re-ground but I would like to know what the original specifications for these cams were ie: lift and duration. Thanks Pete

Hi Pete,

I am sorry I do not have that information.  However the duration aspect is not normally worn, only the lift usually wears.  Since you have the service limit, can't you deduce the lift from the service information?  If you take the cams to be restored, the shop that does the work should also have access to the original specs.  Try the CB1100R club for more information and possible shops that can help you out.  Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components