Motorcycle Repair/2003VTX1800R STARTING/STARTER PROBLEM

Question
BATTERY WAS WEAK, LET MOTOR IDLE TO HELP CHARGE AND FOUND MOTOR OFF AND SYSTEM DISCHARGED. CHARGED AND LOAD TESTED BATTERY-WEAK.  REPLACED BATTERY.  STARTER DOES NOT ENGAGE OR MAKE ANY CONTACT NOISE WHEN STARTER BUTTON IS PUSHED.  HEAD LIGHT GOES OUT WHEN PUSHED.  

WOULD MAIN FUSE FAILURE CAUSE THIS SYMPTOM OR POSSIBLE STARTER SOLENOID PROBLEM?  WHERE IS MAIN FUSE LOCATED AND STARTER LOCATION AND EASE OF ACCESS TO REPLACE?  ANY OTHER POSSIBILITIES?

Answer
If you have power at the ignition switch and headlights are coming on and you have instrument lights, then the main power fuse is still okay.  Solenoid and fuses are back by the battery, beneath the seat.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-vtx1800-vtx1800r/o/m1512

If you jump across the two big posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver for just a second, it should turn the starter motor over. Beware of sparks when you do this.

There are safety switches on the clutch lever and sidestand, which must be working for the engine to start.

Charging system will not charge the battery at idle, as you have discovered. Usually the charging rpms start around 2000-2500 rpms.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver