Motorcycle Repair/2000 xr200

Question
One day I was riding and it just quit tried starting it no spark got a new coil put it on and started it again as soon as it started it hit its highest rpm and I killed it as soon as possible then tried again AMD same thing so I haven't touched it since what do I do?

Answer
Logan, I bet you removed the fuel tank to change the coil, didn't you? If so, then you probably disturbed the throttle cable routing from the handlebars to the carburetor. Pull the seat and tank again, check the throttle cable routing to be sure that it isn't hung up on something under there.

Check the throttle action before you put the tank and seat back on, to be sure that the throttle slide is dropping all the way down. You will hear it "click" when it hits the bottom of the carburetor body. If the bike sat for a long time, sometimes old gasoline will evaporate and leave sticky varnish behind, causing the slide to stick. If you removed the carburetor top for some reason, you might have installed the carburetor slide backwards, causing it to hang half way open. The little cutaway at the bottom of the slide faces the air filter, not the engine.

I hope that gets you on the right track again,

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver