Motorcycle Repair/harley starter

I am trying to remove a starter from a 1988 softail i have the primery cover off,  dont hsve a manuel dondt know whats next.  can i remove it from starter side.  thanks.

i suggest you get a service manual to guide you to removing it and installing it.
You need to remove the clutch basket, motor sprocket with chain, jackshaft and, depending on the model and year of the softtail, the oil tank. Now you can remove the bolts holding the starter in and remove it.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!