Motorcycle Repair/wont start xl 250 degree1998

hi gary was reading about the valve clearences needing to be checked could this solve my problem off the bike not starting new plug put in last week and carb was blew out thanks

Hugh it is possible. The bike can become hard to start and run poorly if it does start. With the engine cold place the piston at top-dead-center and there is a plug on the left side of engine that can be unscrewed and you should see the timing marks there. Also remove the spark plug as this makes it easier to turn over and also with a small screwdriver or wire feel the top of the piston as it reaches TDC. Once you have established that it is at TDC take off valve caps and check the gap between the valve stem and the rocker. There should only be about .003" on the intake side and about .004 on the exhaust. Try this for a starting point and see if it helps.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake

I have built from ground up race winning motocross bikes and atvs as well as atv,s for flat track and TT racing. I am starting to take on the utv challenges now for racing. This is a new area for me so Im in a learning curve.

I have extensive experience in off road motorcycles and atv,s.I also work on street bikes and personal watercraft, Some experience was self taught and some was factory trained. I have been working in the powersports industry since the mid 70,s I hope I can help. Thanks Gary

Was a sponsor for K.O.R.R.(kansas off road riders) and now I am working with ROMEO,s (retired old motorcyclists eating out)and was in charge of the Quad Wars for the monster truck series in Central Kansas

Factory trained Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Factory trained GasGas motorcycles and atvs worked as a technician and was as a dealership owner.Kaw.Suz,Honda,Aprilia,Arctic cat,See Doo,Can Am, Bombardier,Yamaha,GasGas,Qingi,TM,Moto Guzzi,Harley,s