Motorcycle Repair/1979 Honda XL500S

Question
Hello, I have a 1979 Honda XL500S that has been sitting outside for years, & would like to know what Basic steps I need to take to get it running. (I know there are Numerous things that have to be done, but if you could hit the main areas so I have a general idea). If you could also tell me which motorcycle manual is the best in your opinion (Haynes, Clymer, etc.) I won't have to pick your brain so much, lol.
Thank You in advance for your time!
         Deb

Answer
Deb, Hopefully the engine will turn over easily. Start with pulling out the spark plug and put a squirt of oil in the cylinder. While its soaking pull the tank and carb and clean and adjust the carb. The fuel valve on the bottom of the tank can plug up also and may need to be cleaned. Put in a fresh spark plug and a fresh air filter. Put the carb back on and put in fresh gas in tank and turn on the tank valve. Does fuel flow out of hose,if so connect hose to carb. Install a new battery and try starting the bike. If you can get it to start and run let it heat up to operating temp then change the oil. Restart the bike and let it warm up again then dial in the carb as the bike needs to be at operating temp to get the mix and idle speed right. Oh by the way the Clymer manual is better. Thanks Gary.....

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake