Motorcycle Repair/1986 xl 883

mike thanks for your reply .i fired her up just now ,i found that when i installed the ignition control module sensor that i mashed the r/g/b wires under my starter when i put it back on.the control module and the sensor wernt hookin up .its popin runnin rough but idles.i know the back two cam gear marks were off line by a tooth ,i figure i need to get at the cams again and make sure there marks are i need to check the piston position ? is it possible to correct the cam gear marks without removing rocker boxes / push rods / or retarding or advancing sensor. / thanks chris

The only way to remove and turn the cams are to remove the pushrods. You cant remove the cams with pressure on them. Before removing the sensor mark the location and then you can put it back in the same place. When you remove the cam cover check the marks on each cam and make sure they lign up. the piston does not hve to be on TDC to do this.
Happy holidays

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!