Motorcycle Repair/'83 honda v45 vf750s sabre wont start

Question
Hi my honda vf750s sabre wont start. The bike sat for close to 10 years add check for spark and I have spark on the front cylinders and the back cylinders when cranking trying to start it backfires out the exhaust as well as backfires out the carburetors. I'm not familiar with these type of carburetors used on this bike I'm mostly cars when it comes to my knowledge of engines but on this bike I'm at a loss I don't know where to begin. any help would be greatly appreciated the bike is very sentimental I really don't want to give up on it i've come this far and worked very hard.

Answer
Brandon, a bike that has been sitting for 10 years will need a full service of the fuel tank, petcock, fuel lines and carburetor overhauls (4x) to get it going once again. Honda did have issues with the spark modules, located back by the battery.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vf750s-v45-sabre-1983-usa_model7612/partslist/

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vf750s-v45-sabre-1983-usa_model7612/partslist/E++1801
for listing of carburetor parts, including the packing/gaskets. Hopefully, the carburetor slide diaphragms haven't failed yet, as the carb overhaul bill could run into 4 figures in a worse case scenario, if you don't do the work yourself.

Old gasoline left in the fuel system causes rust in the tank, gummy deposits in the jets and air passages, sticking float valves, stuck choke plungers and plugged filters. Everything needs to be cleaned and flushed out before this bike will come back to life again.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver