Motorcycle Repair/93 1200 SPORTSTER

Question
I had to replace the gasket on the right side the case that covers the lifters and gears. When I removed the cover the two gears that were used to lift the rear push rods hit the floor and now im not sure how to put them back in well line them up back in the right potion. Would you be able to shed some light. Thank you so much.

Answer
George, I may not be much help on this one. I pulled this a few years ago and pulled the leaking cover and the cams fell out. I had to loosen the rocker arm pressure on top and put the front piston at TDC then install the cams again. The lobes are offset on the cams enough to get them into the right hole, lobes should point away from the lifter enough not to activate the push rod also there are usually timing marks scribed on the gears as to their alignment. I dont have my books anymore but I will check on this for you. Gary....

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake