Motorcycle Repair/84 honda magna 700 fuel pump

Question
QUESTION: Ive been workin on get my bike running for a few months now. Everyone keeps telling me my fuel pump should turn on as soon as i turn my key one. But the only time my fuel pump runs is when i turn the ignition switch?  Is this how this should work?

ANSWER: Most Bikes I have expierence with, you can hear the fuel pump click on as soon as you turn the key to the on position.
there is a control box or sometimes the control is built into the fuel pump.
The control starts and shuts off the pump when it reaches a specific pressure.
When I have had bikes with fuel pumps. I turn the key to the on position and I hear the pump kick on the fill the carbs then shut off.
The black box as some call it or the fuel pump control could be faulty.
If you remove your fuel line from the carbs. you can test the pump by turning on the key and seeing if the pump kicks in and pumps out fuel. Then you can put your thumb over the hose end and block the flow and it should shut off. Most bikes fuel pumps are low pressure, around 3 to 4 lbs only. I hope this helps.

QUESTION: Thanks then my next question is my fuel pump didnt work at all.. I replaced that relay which made the fuel pump kick on but only with the ignition button. Would that mean there is something wrong with my pump or maybe a short my my ignition switch? Where should I Begin to fix this problem?

Answer
I WOULD TRY TO BYPASS THE INIGITION SWITCH. RUN IT STRAIGHT TO POWER.
SEE HOW IT PERFORMS THAT WAY. i USE A LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMP WHEN REBUILDING MOTORCYCLE CARBURETORS. IT WILL RUN UNTIL I SHUT IT OFF AS I DON'T HAVE A PRESSURE CUT OFF IN THE CIRCUIT.

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack