Motorcycle Repair/CBX1000 piston rings

Hi Jan,

i have an honda CBX1000. i'm rebuilding the engine after a problem on the rod 1 (you explained me roots of this issue a few months ago).
now i'm facing a new problem: Honda changed the rings code by removing the 'T' from the first.
i have now one ring marked with a 'R' and one with 'RN'.

could you pls indicate me the correct mounting sequence?

Hi Paolo,

Cannot be sure from that designation, but the top ring is normally slightly rounded and shiny, the middle ring is usually sharp edged and dark.  Let me know if that helps, or perhaps take some photo's of the rings and post them so I can take a look.

Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components