Motorcycle Repair/painting CL 305

What is the appropriate gray paint and primer to paint the gas tank,fenders etc of a Honda 305 Scrambler? Also what is the correct and best way to seal the paint to keep it from rippling and peeling around the gas tank filler?
Thanks, Joe

Joseph, the original paint was electro-statically applied to bare metal.

If you completely strip the tank to bare metal and use an etching primer, the color coat should remain secure, using today's paints with hardeners in them.

Mazda's Sunbeam Silver is a good match. Rattle can paint jobs usually won't do the job.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.