Motorcycle Repair/Throttle cables replacement on a 1979 honda CBX 1000

Hi Jan,

I am Belgian, please apologize for the spelling.
I own a CBX (Z model) since June last year and I have to replace the throttle cables on it.
I have succeeded in connecting the "push" one, but I do not find out how to place the "pull" one.  I even do not see where it is hooked on the throttle link. I can state it is underneath but where exactly, I do not know.
Have you got a dodge to exchange the pieces?          Do you think there is a possibility to achieve this operation without dismounting the carbs-rail?
In the shop manual, they do not speak about changing cables nor chains.
Many thanks in advance for your answer.
Best regards,

Daniel Bady

front of carbs
front of carbs  
Hi Daniel,

This is a difficult task, even those of us that have done it frequently still rely on a little bit of luck.  Sometimes it is fitted in a minute, sometimes it takes 30 minutes...  The key is that the pull cable has to be put in blind, and the lead-in is very long so the cable has to go way back, before sliding into place.  I enclose a picture of the mechanism taken from the front, so you can get an idea of how to align the cable.  If you have small hands it is much easier.  It can be done with the carbs in place, and without lowering the engine.  But it is tricky; so good luck!

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components