Motorcycle Repair/motorcycle won't shift gears standing still

Hi. I recently bought a used yamaha fzr exup 1000cc motorcycle. I am new to biking so forgive me if the question seems rather simple. The bike does not shift into 3rd,and higher gears while it is standing still. It seems stuck. Is this normal. One local mechanic told me that the gearbox has packed up  and it is very costly to repair. The other says there is a problem with my clutch, the other says that it is normal. I would really appreciate some feedback in this regard.

Roger, the transmissions always shift better when the rear wheel is moving and/or engine is running and you are feathering the clutch a bit. Trying to shift the transmission through the gears when the shafts are stationary is not going to give a good result. If you have a rear bike stand, get the rear wheel up off the ground and try to shift through the gears with the engine idling and using the clutch.

You didn't mention the mileage on the bike or any kind of indication of damage due to crashes or poor maintenance which could be factors in the "problem."

If the bike goes through the gears while you are riding it normally and isn't making any bad noises or there are no signs of metal in the oil/oil filter, then the bike is probably okay.

Search for FZR forums to see if there are any common issues with the transmissions/clutches on these bikes. A 1000cc FZR is a pretty hairy way to start out in a new motorcycling experience, powerwise and $$$ wise.

I hope you have taken the rider safety classes and have a manual to help you understand the maintenance procedures for your bike.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.