Motorcycle Repair/motorcycle won't shift gears standing still

Hi. I recently bought a used yamaha fzr exup 1000cc motorcycle. I am no motorcycle expert but would like to know if my motorcycle reacts normally. The bike does not shift into 3rd,and higher gears while it is standing still. It seems stuck. Is this normal. One local mechanic told me that the gearbox has packed up  and it is very costly to repair. The other says there is a problem with my clutch, the other says that it is normal. I would really appreciate some feedback in this regard.

Roger,Im not sure how to diagnose with out trying a few things first. Drain the oil out of the engine and see if there are any pieces of metal. Put in fresh oil and run engine and try the shifting again. Also check the clutch lever adjustment and make sure you have at least 2mm of slack between the edge of the lever and the pivot stop on the lever. Too much freeplay and it wont release the clutch and not enough and it will slip and burn and warp the discs. With the engine running you may still have to roll the bike forward and back a little the mesh the gears
and see if it will shift all the through before you take off riding it.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake

I have built from ground up race winning motocross bikes and atvs as well as atv,s for flat track and TT racing. I am starting to take on the utv challenges now for racing. This is a new area for me so Im in a learning curve.

I have extensive experience in off road motorcycles and atv,s.I also work on street bikes and personal watercraft, Some experience was self taught and some was factory trained. I have been working in the powersports industry since the mid 70,s I hope I can help. Thanks Gary

Was a sponsor for K.O.R.R.(kansas off road riders) and now I am working with ROMEO,s (retired old motorcyclists eating out)and was in charge of the Quad Wars for the monster truck series in Central Kansas

Factory trained Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Factory trained GasGas motorcycles and atvs worked as a technician and was as a dealership owner.Kaw.Suz,Honda,Aprilia,Arctic cat,See Doo,Can Am, Bombardier,Yamaha,GasGas,Qingi,TM,Moto Guzzi,Harley,s