Motorcycle Repair/atc 125m clutch problems

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1985 atc 125m the problem is when you put it in gear it takes off. I have adjusted the clutch and it still pulls before giving gas. I have pulled clutch cover and clutch and checked and cant find nothing wrong. I have the proper free play in the shifter too. Please help.

ANSWER: Mike I work on these all the time,thats not an uncommon problem. The centrifugal clutch is engageing and dragging the drum. Its possible that the rpm is to high allowing the clutch to engage or the spring that holds the friction pucks in may be allowing them to expand out to the drum and slightly engage. The shift shaft as you know only operates the manual clutch and centers the shift linkage so it will turn the shift drum. There is also a one way roller clutch that allows the drum to free wheel if you push it but hook up when running it may have gone south on you.

QUESTION: I have it idled way down. So is the big gear behind the clutch supposed to free wheel.I pulled the clutch and took to the Honda shop and they said there was nothing wrong with it. They took it apart and said I had everything correct. I took it home put it back together and it still does the same thing. I can put in gear while holding the brake and giving a little gas but soon as I let it idle down it shuts off. If I shift it into gear normally it starts to pull away.

Answer
Mike, The unit should lurch when its shifted but should not move forward at idle. If idle is to slow it may pull down and die. If you are absolutely sure the clutches are set up right the shift ramps may be off. This is the triangle shaped componants in the cover. There are 3 ball brgs that turn and ramp up to engage the clutch,if they are off this will allow the clutch to slip or prematuraly engage. The shifter may be right but the clutch adjustment is still off.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake