Motorcycle Repair/1999 Titan electrical problem

Question
New battery cost 230.00   While cranking the elect just shut off like a fuse blew but it was the batt was totally drained. I took batt back and a new battery did the same thing while I was riding. No warning just everything good too nothing at all. No lights no ignition nothing.  After sitting 30 min the batt recharged enough for the dash lights but thats all.  I have some starter drag but could the starter cause all this?

Answer
charge the battery first. then check battery voltage before starting the bike. should be 12.5 volts or more.then start the bike and check D.C. volts again at the battery. this time it Should be higher then 12.5. as you rev the motor the the voltage should go up to around 14 volts. if not. Disconnect the regulator. Start bike again and check A.C. voltage at the stator plug. At Idle it should be 20 volts. at 2000 rpm it should be 40 volts. If you are getting A.C. voltage at the stator then your regulator is Bad. Regulator does 3 things. Sends d.c. voltages to battery. It can either send no voltage to the battery or Over charge the battery. this is where I would start. Johnny

Motorcycle Repair

southeast johnny