Motorcycle Repair/1991 Ultra Gearcase

QUESTION: I forgot to re-install the plastic "baffle" that goes into a tube that is located either inside the gearcase cover or in the gearcase itself.  This piece is about 3 inches long, black plastic, with 4-6 ears down it's length.  I'm assuming it's a baffle of some kind.  Do I need to do another tear down to put it back in or can I get along without it?
Thanks,  Eddie K

ANSWER: I am not sure of what you are refering to. Can you take a pic and post it of here?

QUESTION: Mike,  I'm not sure if the web site address you gave me is correct... can't seem to send any email there.  Are you in MO?

ANSWER: You have me stumped. I have never seen this part. I checked my parts book and service manual and found nothing. Do you have a stock tranny? The only thing I can think of its an aftermarket part. It is going to be tough for me to say whether you need it or not.
By the way, I am located in Ohio

QUESTION: Mike,  Ah, there's part of the problem... I wasn't specific enough with my question!  This part goes in the motor gearcase & I found out it IS a baffle to help separate the oil/air mist coming out of the breather gear.  It wasn't used on earlier model EVOs so maybe I don't actually need to install it.  I guess if I have excess oil coming out of the breather hose, then I'll have to put it back in.  Go Bucks! (originally from Dayton, now in Daytona Beach!)
Eddie K

Ok, sorry. I thought you were talking about the tranny. My bad! I see it now. That is a air/oil seperator. It was only used in the 91 and 92 model. I would try it wouthout ir and see if you have a problem or not. If you do then you are going ot hae to install it.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!