Motorcycle Repair/1999 HD Superglide

Question
Mike, you have answered questions before from me and have never been wrong. Now, I am interested in buying a 1999 Superglide. It has 45,000 on it, but is in immaculate condition. The guy selling is is an older guy with all the service records. If there is no obvious knocks or other things, is there a mileage point where the upper would need to be done where the bike is not worth getting? I plan on putting about 50k+ on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Answer
I hve seen bikes go 20,000 miles and 80,000 miles without doign a top end. Usually the lower milage is due to rough riding, Since the person is older and the bike is in great condition, I would say he didnt ride it hard and it sounds like he really took care of it. Start the bike and look for signs of smoke coming out the pipes when the bike is warm. Also, check the plugs for oil and run your finger inside the pipes, looking for oil. If you find some then the top end would need done
Good luck and happy riding
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells