Motorcycle Repair/74 CB550 wire problem

Question
Wow, great to find you! after years of waiting/wanting my high school sweet heart I purchased her, 74 CB550 problem is 39 plus years of ez-fix/wrong with all the systems, electrical seems to be the logical place to start. I've got wiring diagrams from Clymer but not clear to me how it all goes together? is it as simple as conect the like wires in color code? how many systems do I need to account for? to many wires in the head light with no where to plug in? can you help, I'd really like understand this.
kevo

Answer
Kevin, Honda is consistent with their wiring colors throughout the bike. Just plug in like colors and you should be fine. I would need to know what colored wires you have "extras" of to tell you where they go, but the wiring diagram should supply you with all you need.

If the turn signals were removed, then you will find spare wires in the shell. In some cases there is one or two spare wires which are used in domestic or Euro markets which had different headlight bulb configurations, using a small parking/driving light for in-town riding.

The early fours used an automotive style points type voltage regulator which can be replaced with a consolidated solid state regulator rectifier available from aftermarket companies.

A good source for Honda Four info is www.sohc4.net

Motorcycles have ignition systems, lighting systems, charging systems and horns, not unlike a car. Everything is just more condensed on a bike chassis. Clean all electrical connections and ground contact points.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver