Motorcycle Repair/74 CB550 wire problem

Wow, great to find you! after years of waiting/wanting my high school sweet heart I purchased her, 74 CB550 problem is 39 plus years of ez-fix/wrong with all the systems, electrical seems to be the logical place to start. I've got wiring diagrams from Clymer but not clear to me how it all goes together? is it as simple as conect the like wires in color code? how many systems do I need to account for? to many wires in the head light with no where to plug in? can you help, I'd really like understand this.

Kevin, Honda is consistent with their wiring colors throughout the bike. Just plug in like colors and you should be fine. I would need to know what colored wires you have "extras" of to tell you where they go, but the wiring diagram should supply you with all you need.

If the turn signals were removed, then you will find spare wires in the shell. In some cases there is one or two spare wires which are used in domestic or Euro markets which had different headlight bulb configurations, using a small parking/driving light for in-town riding.

The early fours used an automotive style points type voltage regulator which can be replaced with a consolidated solid state regulator rectifier available from aftermarket companies.

A good source for Honda Four info is

Motorcycles have ignition systems, lighting systems, charging systems and horns, not unlike a car. Everything is just more condensed on a bike chassis. Clean all electrical connections and ground contact points.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.