Motorcycle Repair/76 xl 100

Will a 76 xl 100 run without a battery I know
The older ones wouldn't  what year did Honda
Fix this problem I had a 78 xl 125 had a dead
Battery in it and it ran great??????

The 1979-later models had a CDI ignition system, which is self-powered. Before that all the bikes had points and condenser ignition which was battery-powered.

XL100s have the same basic electrical system as the CB/CL/SL100s, which is battery powered.

I found a possible solution here, but have no direct experience, so try it at your own risk..

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.