Motorcycle Repair/CBX Tank

Question
CBX Tank: What are the 2 metal tabs on the front of the gas tank tunnel for?  They always rust, should I remove them clean them up and seal and replace for correctness or should I just leave them off?  What do they do?

Answer

Lots of people leave these off for exactly the reason you describe, they go into the paint, can cause corrosion on the tank and they are usually rusty themselves.  The question of their purpose has often been asked, we can only summize that they were put in place to protect the edge of the gas tank when it is placed on the frame.

However for a correct restoration they should be in place...  So I would clean them up, put a piece of insulating tape over the paint and push the tabs back in place.

Good luck,

Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda