Motorcycle Repair/Honda CB92 roller bearing

Hi again Bill. Greetings from South Africa. I want to buy a roller bearing on ebay which has the number N304SHSL on the casing. The part number quoted is correct, namely 91012-202-010 but my manual gives the number as N304SHS...without the 'L' at the end. Do you know what the 'L' stands for?
I would greatly appreciate your view. Many thanks. David.

Answer for some reference.  was interesting, but didn't shed any light on the suffixes.

Here are picture references:

The bearing listed on Ebay is an -020, not -010. A is 010, B is 020 in the old part number system.

You have to be very careful about the main bearings on CB92s, as they did at least three different crankshafts.
1959- early 1961 bikes had larger center main bearings, with ring retainers.
1961 bikes had a smaller, pinned center bearing and ring type end bearings
1962-on machines had all three main bearings with locating pins.
Obviously all the engine cases have to match the bearings. So, the engine number/year is of great importance.

The L may be for Honda applications, as they are not specified in bearing nomenclature lists.
The load end gets the roller bearing and the opposite end gets a ball bearing to maintain the crankshaft position.

C92s have two configurations: center main bearing cranks and no center main bearing crankshafts, plus the other ring/pin locator features. It looks like two of the bearings have 205 codes for higher performance/reliability, but there is the 202-000 and 202-020 in the list.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.