Motorcycle Repair/Side-Stand (Kick Stand)

I have a 1984 VT700 Shadow and I just replaced the Kick Stand or Side Stand and just need to know the easiest way to attach the spring.

Jim, I have automotive brake spring tool, available for sale and maybe for rent at auto parts stores who loan tools.   Item number 330874442119 (the system truncated my original URL) as an example.

There is another "trick" that sometimes works....

Take the spring and drive pennies or flat washers in between the coils, which will lengthen the spring out, sometimes enough to get it to catch both ends. Using Vise-Grips can help the process, as well. Lay the bike over against a wall, in gear (with padding), so you can get good access to the spring and stand.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.