Motorcycle Repair/1981 CBX idle speed

Jan--what rpm should it be set at & how difficult is to adjust?

Actually the manual states the idle speed should be 900 +/- 100 rpm.  So between 800 to 1000 rpm.  The bike needs to be in very good order to idle smoothly at 800rpm, but most are happy at 1000.  It is actually very easy to adjust, if you look from the right side of the engine above the carbs on the air filter side you will see a rather large knurled screw with a flat groove in it.  Basically it is just below the gas tank and above the polished carb tops. If you have small hands you can get one finger on the adjustment.  Typically it will need a little effort to get it moving, but once free the adjustment is easily done with a large flat screwdriver, clockwise to increase the speed and counter clockwise to decrease it.  Make sure the choke is completely off before adjusting, as it overrides the idle adjustment.

Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components