Motorcycle Repair/2007 Sportster Transmission

Question
Dear Mike,
I purchased a 2007 1200 Sportster Custom last fall with about 13K miles.  After about a month, all of a sudden fourth gear is gone. When I shift from 3rd to 4th, I get nothing, the bike just revs.  If I shift up again I will hit 5th with no issues. And visa versa when down shifting. There is no grinding or any strange noise.  I took it to a local bike shop that sells used Harley's.  The owner is a friend of a friend.  They drained "something" and said that there were no metal shavings, etc in it.....that was the good part.  They suspect a bad/broken shift fork. Then they said that the only way to determine for sure was to remove the engine from the bike and split the case, etc.  At this time all I saw in my head was $$$$$$.  Sure enough he said it would cost around $2000. (Almost half of what I paid for the bike!  Ouch!) Is it normal for a shift fork to go bad? Especially with so few miles?  Does this diagnosis make sense?  And of course, does the repair scenario and cost sound reasonable?  I know it is probably a long shot but should I communicate with Harley corporate to see if there is something they will/can do for me?  Any other information/thoughts/advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks,
Bob

Answer
Yes shifter forks can go bad. Usually they get bent from hard shifting or "speed shifting". You can bend a shifter fork at anytime. Its really hard to tell what the problem is until the tranny is removed. It could be a bent shifter fork, broken gear or anything till its seen. Yes, the diagnosis makes sense. I cant comment of tne cost. Prices are different all over the country and from shop to shop. I can tell you this. Harley will not do anything for you since its out of warrenty!
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells