Motorcycle Repair/battery problems

I just bought a new battery for my suzuki gs550e.I charged it for one hour then put it in.I drove around for about an hour when i noticed I was losing power from the battery,my turn signals would not blink but my head light was still on. It didn't have enough power to run I proceeded to walk it to a parts store then tried it again and it cranked up.I got it home and the battery lost power again. please help

John,  Well Suzukis are not my specialty, but the basics are mostly the same for most motorcycles.   

Obviously your charging system is failing due to component issues and/or electrical connection problems.

Here is a good place to start...

There is also a troubleshooting file on this site which can help direct your efforts to remedy the issue.

You didn't specify your year/series so I just chose something that seems to be close to what you described. If the year/model series isn't a match, choose the correct one from the site's known issues page. If the page is correct for your bike, then Suzuki did a poor job of designing the charging system, in my opinion.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.