Motorcycle Repair/charging system

Hello and good day.  I have a old 1974 flh.  I started my bike and where the voltage connects to the motor at the plug.  Smoke started comming from the plug.  I had a issue that I vibrated loose and lost charging.on a key west run. Pushed it back on and jump started bike.  Worked get for a a few years. I always pushed down on connection just to make sure it didn't vibrate loose again.  But then no I have the issue.    I got the bike running and went for a ride. Not charging. I pushed the plug back down thought it connected but I believe its melted I had to push it and was able to jump start. Brought it home.  It ran great.  What do u think has caused it to short out. Oil got into the stator.   I don't ride to much in thesummer. I live in miami /keys area.  To frigen hot. But at night will ride.   Rode a buch this past winter.  Some times the battery will loose a charg so I connect battery charger to it and let it charge for a bit. But then some times I put it on started button which is throwing 75 amp. And it fires over.  I go for. A ride and no problems starting that day or for the days I ride.  So I no it charging.  Hope its a easy issue. But I believe its a stator issue where oil entered magsnets.  Hope u can help. Marlow

Sounds like your stator is going bad and needs replaced. It has nothing to do with the oil. The stator and magnets run in the primary oil bath. You can have a short in the stator, so sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!