Motorcycle Repair/1980 honda xr 80

engine wires
engine wires  
I need a wiring diagram for xr 80. I have a group of wires out top of motor and one single wire coming off a stud just in front of chain sprocket.also the kill switch.

Darren, the single green/red stripe wire connects the neutral switch and up to the neutral light. Honda wiring colors are all consistent, so hooking up matching colors will mate all the correct wiring connectors together.

Based upon your photo of the engine and wiring, the engine is not XR80, but an XL80. The dirt-only XRs only have one wire coming from the magneto to fire the ignition coil. XLs have full lighting requiring coils to power the headlight and charge the battery.

The XR75 wiring diagram should be close to the XR80 version,  which can be seen here:

For XL80 info:    Should be similar to the earlier models.

So, either you have a stripped down XL80 or someone did a motor swap into your XR80. If you have no lights and other street gear, then just use the ignition wires that are color matched.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.