Motorcycle Repair/1996yamahawolverine4x4

I have a problem with my wolverine I cleaned the carb out twice so when I start it its fine idles great when but when I go down the road  some rough road persay it starves out  and dies so I pull the choke fires right up push the choke in goes for a while does same thing but if I leave choke on states running but of course it won't idle by itself so can you help thanks garry

Garry, Somehow the carb is starving on fuel. It could be simple but just finding it. The fuel petcock on the bottom of the tank could be restricted not allowing enough gas to flow through. Or the float needle is sticking and not allowing gas into the bowl to keep it running. You may need to replace the needle and seat then reset the float level. Or worst case there could be a vaccum leak between the carb and cylinder, the bubber boot may have a crack in it or the flange next to the cylinder could be warped allowing air in. Check the float level one way is pull the carb make sure the spring loaded needle in the seat works. Then hold the carb sideways with the float on the side. Put the hinge part up and let the float hang downward.Slightly tip the carb back to let the weight of the float push the pin down and see where it stops. The float should run parallel with the bottom of the carb top. Bend the tab at the hinge to achieve this. Also do not turn the carb top all the way upside down as the weight of the float will push down the float needle and give you a false reading. I hope something here will help you. Gary....

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake

I have built from ground up race winning motocross bikes and atvs as well as atv,s for flat track and TT racing. I am starting to take on the utv challenges now for racing. This is a new area for me so Im in a learning curve.

I have extensive experience in off road motorcycles and atv,s.I also work on street bikes and personal watercraft, Some experience was self taught and some was factory trained. I have been working in the powersports industry since the mid 70,s I hope I can help. Thanks Gary

Was a sponsor for K.O.R.R.(kansas off road riders) and now I am working with ROMEO,s (retired old motorcyclists eating out)and was in charge of the Quad Wars for the monster truck series in Central Kansas

Factory trained Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Factory trained GasGas motorcycles and atvs worked as a technician and was as a dealership owner.Kaw.Suz,Honda,Aprilia,Arctic cat,See Doo,Can Am, Bombardier,Yamaha,GasGas,Qingi,TM,Moto Guzzi,Harley,s