Motorcycle Repair/Clutch

Question
I just got a 1994 completely stock Sportster 1200, but I'm having trouble with pulling the clutch. With my hand on the grip the clutch lever sits at my finger tips, almost right under my finger nails, so I have to reach my hand up and around just to get a grip on it. I can pull it in once I do, but the friction point is about as far out as it can get, it catches right before it's completely released. That on top of it being a difficult clutch to pull anyway makes everything about it difficult for me. I know how to get into the primary to adjust it there, but I don't know how I could adjust it to make it easier. Making it easier to pull in would help, but is there anyway I can adjust the clutch lever to sit closer to the grip? To decrease the angle between the grip and where the lever sits? There's a lot of spare room from when the clutch is pulled in completely to the friction point. Is there any way I could get rid of that?

Answer
One of the things that makes a clutch cable hard to pull is the cable is dry. Most people don't lube their cables. With the age of the bike I would probably replace the cable. Most of new cables are lined and pre-lubed so that will help.
As to the reach of the lever, you might have to change to a lever that has a different angle so you can reach it. If you make an adjustment  where you fingers can reach it, then the clutch probably wont release all the way.
Good luck and happy riding
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells