Motorcycle Repair/my intruder will not run

Question
I was driving my Suzuki Intruder vs800 down the road the other night I bottomed out and the motorcycle completely died I checked around the swing arm where I hit and my power wire from my battery got cut I fixed the power wire now my bike will not come on when I turn the key on and when I hook a set of jumper cables up to it it starts up and runs fine when I remove the cable to bike dies what's going on with this thing its like the motorcycle is not getting any power unless I'm providing it with jumper cables the battery is brand new

Answer
Hi jj,

It sounds like the battery may have been damaged by the short circuit.

I suggest getting the battery charged fully and if necessary have it load tested
at an auto shop. Even new batteries can lose their stamina to start a bike
if the cells get damaged.

Full charge is 12.6 volts or higher.

Let me know if that helps or if you need more help after the battery check.

WS
------  

Motorcycle Repair

Wayne S.