Motorcycle Repair/light hook up

Question
Hi how ya doing hey i have a 1988 honda nx650 and im taking the fairing off anyhow i have two halogen driving lights  that im using for lights and was going to use my stock high low switch do you think thats ok or should i use the harness they sent with the lights?

Answer
Anthony, this is probably a good question to ask of the guys at www.xrsonly.com

http://www.xrsonly.com/parts-categories/electrical-electronics/headlights and there are other sites out there, as well.

You have to determine how much more current the dual lights are going to draw and see if your wiring and switch contacts are up to the task. Often people find it safer to add a relay to the circuit and use the dimmer switch to operate that instead..

I'm not an off-road kind of guy so am not up on the current trends for laser beam headlight systems on off-road vehicles.

If a manufacture does the design of the lighting system and sends a new harness with it, then they probably know what they are doing. If you run too much current through your little 18ga wiring harness, it will probably go up in smoke.  If you are replacing the bulbs with ones of the same wattage, then there should be no problem. Anything bigger/brighter may lead you into difficulties of you don't follow their directions.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver