Motorcycle Repair/1980 Suzuki GS450

Hello, I have a 1980 GS450 motorcycle that has just started having a problem with idleing at high rpm's. The bike idles at 1000-1200 rpms. After riding the bike for about 5 minutes when you come to a stop the bike wants to idle at 4000 to 5000 rpms. I can turn the bike off and restart the bike and it idles normal until I twist the throttle grip then the bike will not return to normal idle but but idles at 4000 rpm's I have gone through the carbs. I tried spraying starting fluid around the intake rubbers and notice no change in the rpm's. The throttle slides in the carbs seem to move freely and the diaphram rubber seems to be ok. Any suggestion?

Mike,Its possible that the cables or linkage may be giving you grief. Make sure there is a little slack in the twisting portion of the throttle also if the cables are starting to gum up or frey it will not let the bike idle down properly. Or if too tight the engine can rev if the bars are turned all the way to the left or right.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake

I have built from ground up race winning motocross bikes and atvs as well as atv,s for flat track and TT racing. I am starting to take on the utv challenges now for racing. This is a new area for me so Im in a learning curve.

I have extensive experience in off road motorcycles and atv,s.I also work on street bikes and personal watercraft, Some experience was self taught and some was factory trained. I have been working in the powersports industry since the mid 70,s I hope I can help. Thanks Gary

Was a sponsor for K.O.R.R.(kansas off road riders) and now I am working with ROMEO,s (retired old motorcyclists eating out)and was in charge of the Quad Wars for the monster truck series in Central Kansas

Factory trained Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Factory trained GasGas motorcycles and atvs worked as a technician and was as a dealership owner.Kaw.Suz,Honda,Aprilia,Arctic cat,See Doo,Can Am, Bombardier,Yamaha,GasGas,Qingi,TM,Moto Guzzi,Harley,s