Motorcycle Repair/1984 Honda Goldwing 1200

Question
Hello Gary:
I have a 1984 Goldwing 1200. I am having an issue when decellerating during shifting gears. the engine RPM seems to be falling off very slowly. I have attempted to adjust the carbs with little success, the problem is still there. I got the bike from my brother who rebuilt after it was wrecked, then sat for 14 years until I got it. I was able to rebuild it and get it running and have been riding it for the last 6 years, just since last summer I have had this problem, dosen't appear to be vacum but I may have not found it yet. Any ideas of what to check out would be a great help.

Answer
Kerry, You are just in luck as I am working on one now with the same problem. So far what I have found is the two front carbs are sticking in the throttle shaft area. The carbs have been rebuilt and the condition still exists. Its as if they are running lean with too much air and not enough fuel. I did find the cross shafts sticking again and not snapping back quickly. The cables that pull them on and off arent tight and out of adjustment so my focus will be on the carbs themself. The mix screws on the bottom have a tab on them to keep the average person from turning them. Usually these tabs are cut off or replaced during rebuild and may be to lean and with the throttle shafts sticking I may have more than one problem also recheck the syncronization of the carbs to see if they all are flowing correctly.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake