Motorcycle Repair/Honda Elite-80 Blown Engine

Ran my 1985 Honda Elite 80 on low oil & burned it up. Re-filled the crankcase, but it lost power gradually, burning oil until it konked.

I'm guessing no compression. Removed or moved all the wires, tubes, pipes, covers, etc., and am down to a monolith consisting of the valve cover, 'cylinder' and sideways protrusions at the bottom for drive on the left (belt still on) and cooling fan on the right.

My question is what do I take off next. (Or what don't I have to take off?) to get to the crank, crank-bearing, piston, rings, whatever needs to be ordered.

Dave, Most likely you will just need a cylinder rebore with an oversized piston/rings, new gaskets and check the valve seats in the head along with changing the valve stem seals. for valves/seals for cylinder head/cylinder with gaskets/seals, etc. for the master parts list.

I would suggest that you review the repair procedures in a shop manual, as it would take WAY too long to give step-by-step instructions on how to dismantle, inspect, repair and reassemble the engine assembly. You need to understand the procedure for setting the cam timing, in particular.

Fortunately, someone has posted on on the web...

You will be removing the valve cover, loosening the valve adjuster screws, removing the camshaft sprocket bolts, rocker arm holder assembly, then lifting the camchain off the sprocket. Once the cylinder head bolts/rocker arm holder is removed the cylinder head should come off, so you can view into the cylinder to inspect the extent of damage done because of lack of oil. Once the cylinder is removed you can check the piston/rings and bore for damage. You will have to take the cylinder to a machine shop for them to see how much they are going to need to bore the cylinder. Once that is established, then you will need to order the appropriate over-sized piston and ring set.

Clean everything really well, replace o-rings, seals and gaskets wherever they are located.

Make sure you have a quality set of sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, impact driver and all the related machine tools to do this repair.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.