Motorcycle Repair/Honda Shadow 1100- Hydralic Lifters

I recently purchased a '85 1100 Shadow. Starts well but did know that the hydraulic lifters were sticking due to the sound. Haven't put it on the road yet but am going to soon. Have been running in the yard and the Lifter sound has gone down alot especially once engine is hot. Is there anything else that i can do to help lower the noise of the lifters beside a rebuild on them? Thanks.

Frank, if the oil wasn't changed regularly, then the sludge and varnish build-up inside the valve tappet lifters isn't going to go away easily. DO change the oil to fresh 10-40 motorcycle rated oil and add in some Marvel Mystery Oil...maybe about a pint during the change.

This webpage might be useful for you:

check:  for more info on this issue.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.