Motorcycle Repair/removing a starter

Question
My brother has a 1984 yamaha virago. He is stuck on how to remove the starter, I would like to know can you (or is there a site that can) provide a picture of the starter and how to remove it that can be printed out for him? He is retired and I am hoping to keep him active and for him to stay busy with this project.

Answer
I would first suggest trying www.youtube.com   They will have a video or 2
on how to remove the starter. www.viragotechforum.com is another Great source
for Virago help. I Rebuild Virago carburetors for a living...www.viragocarb.com
send me your email address to 1 of my email addresses from my website (viragocarb)
And I will send your brother a Yamaha Service Manual on the 84-87 XV700 Virago.
The starter has a spring clip on it and it has to have the rear of the starter
raised very high as the clip is in a groove at the top of the starter opening.
The crashbars may be in the way and need to be removed also..
Be carefull if the clips pops off youll have to remove the side cover to recover it.

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack