Motorcycle Repair/replace clutch cable

Hi Bill

My clutch cable broke on my Honda cm250 1983.  I was able to remove the old clutch no problem but I am unable to put the new one on.  any ideas.  It seems that the new cable is not quite long enough out by 2/8 of an inch is there some adjustment I can make to make it long enough to fit.

Tried pulling on the cable but it doesn't seems to make a difference.  I know that there is a way to do this but I am just not sure what it is I am missing.

I replaced my front brake cable last fall with no problem but I am having trouble with this one.

Carol, I guess the first question is: Did you match the new/old cables up, side-by-side, before you tried to install the new one? Did you buy an OEM-Honda cable or a aftermarket replacement? The correct part number is: 22870-KB4-000

Looking at an eBay listing, the dimensions are cable length - 48 3/4", cable housing - 45 1/2" and it seems to fit several other Honda models.

There isn't much to adjust inside the clutch cover, as you can see. The only thing that can happen in there, assuming the clutch assembly is all okay, is that the roll pin might shear off, inside the clutch lifter cam. If you just broke the cable end off, then that should be the only issue.

All the cable adjustment is made at the cable adjusters, top and bottom.  Loosen both cable adjuster nuts to maximize the amount of cable slack first, then install the cable ends into the holders and take up the slack as necessary.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.