Motorcycle Repair/1974 Honda 125XL

Question
I have a 1974 Honda 125XL that has a stripped out starter gear.  The gear that we removed has 30 teeth.  All the BOM's i look at for this model show a 29 tooth gear.  There is also a 30 tooth pinion gear that I need to replace that comes up as a 29 tooth.  Have there been any changes to the starter gear sets?

Thanks for your help

Answer
Joe, Yes, there was an updated kickstarter gear set for the 100-125s models from Honda. You will have to track down the updated parts and change them as a set. If you have a dealer with old parts books or has been there for a long time, they may have the parts bulletins available, describing the change and the part numbers involved. You can't mix/match the gears.

Use the parts with 383 codes in the middle.

reference

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl125-k0-usa_model825/partslist/E++11.html#results

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver