Motorcycle Repair/1982 honda cb 900 custom charging problem

Hey Bill,

I changed the rotor, stator, regulator/rectifer, and am about to put new brushes in. Nothing works, seems to be getting worse. only thing left is the wiring harness. Please help! I don't want to get rid of it.

David, did you follow the troubleshooting tree at

You need a decent VOM meter to do some checking, but just follow the steps shown on this page:

Each and every part in the system is critical. If the brushes were worn down and not making contact, then the whole system is dead. Check the rotor readings COLD and HOT to see if they are maintaining the specifications. If you start changing parts out of order, then you could be damaging new parts you just installed.

Unless someone has hacked into the harness somewhere, it shouldn't be a source of difficulties. If you see signs of someone adding electrical gadgets to the bike, then a close look at where the wires were cut into is warranted. Otherwise, follow the fault finding chart until you find the issue.

Make sure that the headlight bulb isn't more wattage than specified, too.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.