Motorcycle Repair/Base gasket '89 EVO

QUESTION: Hey Mike I am replacing base gaskets on my 89 FLHS. I have a service manual but am looking to you for some expert advise before I start.
I was told I don't need to pull motor to get heads n jugs off, other that a "ring sleeve" for the pistons is there any secret precaution you could shine any light on prior to me getting into trouble?
Thanks in advance,
Mike from PA

ANSWER: How many miles are on the motor since it has had the top end done?

QUESTION: Top end never done has about 35,000 on it

you don't need to pull the motor to replace the base gaskets. With that many miles I would mic the cylinder walls to make sure you don't have a lot of wear. You would need a set of pressure plates to do that. Also, if the cylinders are in specs you need to replace the rings. If not you are taking a chance of the bike burning oil.
I would also check the valve guides and lap in the valves.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!