Motorcycle Repair/Base gasket '89 EVO

Question
QUESTION: Hey Mike I am replacing base gaskets on my 89 FLHS. I have a service manual but am looking to you for some expert advise before I start.
I was told I don't need to pull motor to get heads n jugs off, other that a "ring sleeve" for the pistons is there any secret precaution you could shine any light on prior to me getting into trouble?
Thanks in advance,
Mike from PA

ANSWER: How many miles are on the motor since it has had the top end done?
Mike

QUESTION: Top end never done has about 35,000 on it

Answer
you don't need to pull the motor to replace the base gaskets. With that many miles I would mic the cylinder walls to make sure you don't have a lot of wear. You would need a set of pressure plates to do that. Also, if the cylinders are in specs you need to replace the rings. If not you are taking a chance of the bike burning oil.
I would also check the valve guides and lap in the valves.
Good luck and happy riding
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells