Motorcycle Repair/Cam chain tensioner on '65 CB77

I'm using the 250 - 305 engine repair guide and it says, "when engine is on T mark (compression stroke) loosen the lock nut and bolt and press on the end of the tensioner shaft. Make sure it is not stuck but a little spongy." I did adjust the valves first to .004", but my tensioner is "stuck" not spongy. What do I need to do next?

Thank you,

Larry, loosen the bolt and turn the motor over one or two times with a wrench on the rotor. Watch the end of the tensioner rod to see if it moves at all. Try tapping it gently with a small hammer.

If it doesn't loosen, then the best way is to unbolt the tensioner from the back of the cylinders and take it apart, file off any high spots on the shaft and reassemble. Bear in mind that you may damage the gasket when the tensioner comes off. If it just cracks in one or two spots, you can use some RTV sealer to glue it back at the gasket edges.

With the tensioner removed the roller arm will fall out of the way and you can twist the shaft back and forth (some penetrating oil might help) and gradually pull it out of the tensioner body. Clean and lightly lube the shaft, push it all the way in and lock it in place with the lock bolt.
Install the tensioner and then loosen the lockbolt to allow the tensioner to push back into the camchain. Make sure you get the roller centered up on the camchain while you install the tensioner.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.