Motorcycle Repair/Changing the left headgasket on cx500 honda motorcycle

head gasket removeal 1981 honda cx500
head gasket removeal 1  
Need to know how to get to the head gasket ather removing the 4 head bolts and rocker arm and water intake and the two back bolts

Robert, I assume you have drained the cooling system, disconnected the exhaust header pipe and the intake manifold already. The photo is a little out of focus so I can't see everything I want to.  

The gasket could have an adhesive on it that is sticking, along with the steel locating dowels which keep everything centered can be rusted into the head or block.

I don't see much else preventing head removal. I use those plastic mallets with the steel shot inside (dead blow hammers), to impart some force without damaging the surface of the metals I am pounding on. Usually a well-placed blow in a 45 degree angle to the head will impart vertical and some horizontal movement to sticking parts.

More specific tech info here:

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.