Motorcycle Repair/loud lifter chatter

Question
hey there,was wondering how to check if my oil pump is working on my 1994 883 sportster?i bought it and it has no gauges or warning lites.it starts right up doesn't smoke,but the lifters are making ALOT of chatter.i looked in the oil bag for a short moment to see if I could see return movement,but didn't c any.dont want to keep starting it,dont wanna hurt it anymore than it mite b already.HELP!and thanks!

Answer
there should be a oil sending unit at the front of the motor. Right side..remove the wire and switch. Then install a oil pressure gage. start the bike. if you have oil pressure great... if not shut the bike off. then you will have to pull the oil pump. good luck and god bless..Johnny..  

Motorcycle Repair

southeast johnny